Before I get stuck into my style guide for book stacks, let me just say that I realise my posts in the past couple of months have been sparse at best. I’m sorry. There is not really a tremendous excuse…it’s partly because I have been busier than usual and partly because I have struggled to stay motivated post summer holidays (I know I know, they were like 400 years ago by now) but somehow during that extended break I totally lost my momentum – the perils of working on your own and becoming easily distracted!
But here I am today to share with you some inspiration for one of the most used styling techniques – the book stack. Why is the book stack so popular? Well, firstly it provides a platform for your trinkets and objet d’art, allowing them to group together in a coherent way. Secondly, it adds height to an arrangement and lastly, well…it makes you look like you read really lovely books. I love a good book stack and they appear in numerous locations in my home.
Here are my top tips for styling book stacks:
- Start by only buying books that you genuinely have an interest in and would like to read (books are expensive so choose a book that looks lovely and is interesting to you)
- If buying books is too costly, then get some attractive magazines (my favourite for styling with are Design Anthology)
- Think in colour tones when stacking books together
- Generally, three books is plenty in a stack unless they are very thin
- Build your book stack like a pyramid with the largest book on the bottom
- Don’t just leave a book stack hanging – give it some love by adding a vase or a candle or a trinket or two to the top
So while I may have been a little less present over here on the blog, if you ever feel like a daily dose of Lottie is Loving inspiration you can simply pop over to my instagram feed and get really exciting daily updates over there. Like really exciting…what I ate for breakfast today, another snippet of my home, ummm…let’s see..me reaching for a coffee with a witty one liner attached? Yep. Super exciting stuff.
Wishing you all a lovely week ahead.
Styling and Photography by Lottie is Loving