The following instructions are for one 30cm diameter cushion cover.
Step 1. CUT:
Trace around your chosen templates with the fabric pen and cut the following pieces:
- 2 x circles (32cm diameter) of red felt
- 2 x circles (32cm diameter) of wadding
- 2 x large white felt circles (5 cm diameter)
- 4 x medium white (or pink) felt circles (3.5cm diameter)
- 4 x small white (or pink) felt circles (2cm diameter)
- 8 x 20cm length of ribbon
Step 2. MAKE THE CUSHION TOP:
- Snip small squares of instant bond tape to fit the back of the white/pink circles
With the instant bond tape underneath each white/pink circle, place them on to the red felt circle and use a hot iron to stick the white/pink spots down (this makes it easier to sew as the spots won’t move)
- Sew the white/pink spots on to the red felt circle
Step 3. SEW THE CUSHION TOGETHER:
- Place finished cushion top (with spots) on top of both circles of wadding. The cushion top should be facing upwards with the wadding beneath it in a stack.
- Place 2 x lengths of ribbon (one on top of the other) at each point where the leg of the stool is (approximately 23cm apart). The ribbon needs to face inwards (not outwards). When you have placed all ribbons you should have 4 x two lengths of ribbons facing inwards. Pin them in place.
- Place the second red felt circle on top of the ribbons and piece with the spots.
- All circles should line up one on top of the other.
- Sew a 1 cm diameter border around the stack of wadding and covers. Make sure you leave a gap of approximately 10cm in length so that you can turn the cushion right side out. When you sew around the circle you will be sewing through all layers of the cushion at once (the wadding, the top, the ribbons and the bottom of the cushion).
- Turn cushion right side out so that the wadding is now on the inside.
Step 4. FINISHING
- Hand sew the gap together.
- Use the ribbon ties to secure the cushion to the stool.